Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Knife Sharpening Service inaugural post

Greetings to everyone who came here on purpose or simply by accident. My name is Bob and I live in San Diego. This blog is my very first attempt at such and is mainly for the purpose of bringing to the public's attention my new venture as a professional knife sharpener.

I have been sharpening chef knives now for over 6 years by hand using a variety of Japanese Whetstones aka water stones. Brands I've used and mostly still own include Naniwa Chosera, Naniwa Super Stone, Shapton Pro, Beston, DMT DiaSharp and DuoSharp and Norton.

I am a Japanese knife nut so my area of expertise is with Japanese chef knives. Although I have owned and sharpened traditional Japanese knives, I'd prefer to focus my business on sharpening standard double bevel Japanese knives. Why? Simply because my western cooking style never had much need for using traditional knives so sharpening them has never been fully developed. Double beveled Japanese knives such as Gyuto, Sujihiki, Petty, Nakiri, etc. is where my expertise exists. I can sharpen traditional knives but I don't feel comfortable actually charging for the service as the end result couldn't be guaranteed.

I can sharpen and repair most any double beveled chef knife whether it be European or Japanese or Chinese. All Japanese knives will be sharpened to 5,000 grit stone and is near mirror polish. Prices are on a case by case basis for repairs but charges for standard sharpening will be as follows:

Japanese Double-bevel (Gyuto, Petty, Sujihiki) - $20

Non-Japanese Kitchen Knives:
Under 2 inches - $5
2 to 5 inches - $7
5 to 7 inches - $9
7 to 9 inches - $11
9 to 12 inches - $13


Vegetable Cleaver - $13
Meat Cleaver - $15


Other services:
Refresh/Re-etch damascus chef knives - $40 (see below for example)
Repairs major nicks in the edge - case by case
Broken tip - starting at $15


Hattori KD Before etching service



Hattori KD after etching service



Close up Before



Close up After

No comments:

Post a Comment